What parts of SEO should you work on?
- With technical SEO search engines look at how well the website is working does it have a quick loading speed, good URL structure, working links, etc. All these aspects are taken into account when determining the visibility of the website.
- On-Page SEO refers to the keywords put on web pages to lead users to your site. When people search they’re looking for specific information and putting in keywords makes your web page easier to find. This isn’t the only thing that matters after all people need to stay on your webpage once they find the site as well. This is why good content is also a must.
- The third is Off-Page SEO this refers to getting backlinks for your website. When you write good content for other websites you’re able to connect these viewers to your site With guest blogging you’re able to get a wider audience and links to your site.
Why is it the difference in SEO on Squarespace?
- Loading Speed – When creating a website, Squarespace automatically chooses your page loading speed. With the loading speed, you’ll notice that it can’t be changed to your preference. A few things you can do to fix this issue is to reduce the amount of content on the page, the image size, the number of images, using fewer fonts, etc. They are all changes that help reduce the amount of information on a webpage. Usually, if a page is less than 5 MB then the speed of the page should be acceptable.
- Robots.txt file – This is an important file used to tell search crawlers what site they can and can not analyze. This aspect is totally automatic so website users cannot change anything. Of course, this would only matter for those with actual experience with robots.txt files. Plus, not all users choose to change this because a small mistake in this file could cause severe problems with your SEO.
- Alt Text – Another thing that SEO experts are annoyed with is how hard it is to create alt text for images. This is created so that when the images don’t show up on your website an alternative text appears with a short description of the image. It helps page crawlers understand the context of the image relating to the site and it’s a great way to add more keywords. But Squarespace makes it hard to use alt text leaving many websites without this useful function.
- URL Structure – Websites with an easy to remember URL will be searched for more than those without. Not only does a URL make it so that people understand what the webpage is about but search engines also use URL to determine if the webpage will be useful. When URL isn’t structured properly it makes the search engine think that you have pages with similar content which means that your website isn’t seen as useful.
- Problematic Templates – A webpage has to be formatted in a certain way so that the search engine can examine the content properly. One way this is done is by the heading tags. The crawlers use to understand what the webpage is about. But the titles on some Squareshare pages aren’t coded for these heading tags so the engine doesn’t recognize it. This causes problems with SEO.
- Deleted Pages – It’s good to get rid of any content that isn’t bringing traffic to your website. But a problem with Squarespace is that its hard to get rid of webpages. Some stay for a while even after they have been deleted for up to 30 days to a year. This is a huge annoyance as there may have been valid reasons as to why you may have chosen to get rid of this content.
- Schema Markup – Google has placed importance with the schema markup as it helps make it easier for search engines to analyze the website properly. So any website with poor schema markups is at a loss to compete. Squarespace has some issues with its schema markups. For example, the event schema doesn’t have the start date and location. Both important information needed to increase the visibility of an event.
Problems like these mentioned above dissuade those looking to improve their SEO from using this platform for their website needs.
Is Squarespace or WordPress better for SEO?
Both have their own pros and cons when using their platforms with WordPress there are a lot of plugins that need to be installed to do the SEO work required. But once they are installed we can customize the site to suit our needs. While Squarespace makes it so that most of the SEO work is done automatically without the users’ input. This is helpful for those who don’t have the necessary knowledge to work on the SEO aspect of their website. It leaves them with more free time to work on their templates and content for her site.